Sunday, 15 January 2012

sunday jan fifteen



I did my first ocean swim of the summer yesterday at Avalon beach. I woke up and it was absolutely pissing down, and Sarah will be pleased to see I am wearing my trackpants for this auspicious occasion, and a cowgirl flanny. I didn't get photos that do justice to the surf, so I thought I would hold up one of the many warning signs for effect (ie to make me look tough). 



Dangerous current. This guy's pic on twitter freaked me out when i saw this on the drive down there in torrential Sydney rain. But it cleared up, a bit.  


This is me right before the race, feigning bravery with five hundred of my closest friends in the ocean swimming community (I know three people, and not well). The surf was pretty big and you had to catch a rip out by the rocks from the north end and then swim all the way down to the south end, then back to the middle, then into the shore. 




My sister, my support crew, as ever. I was in the ladies 30-39 age group, the fifth wave - they stagger them so while race started at 10.30am, our wave of swimmers set off at 10.47. This is me right before the race. I did it in memory of my dad, who was a lifeguard at Avalon - along with his big brother Ken - who was down there turning the snags, apparently but I couldn't find him as he left his mobile in his car! My dad taught me all about the surf and I needed most of the info for the race. Last night Ken gave me a tip about the run in that I could have used as the last part, ie avoiding the rip I had to swim against into shore for all but the last five metres of the race. 




Here's me right afterwards shaking the water out of my ear. 



416190DAVIDSONELISENSWF00:30:44F30-3941124



And looking delighted with myself, which I was. My results are above. Way to read them are: bib number 190 (you wear an electronic timer on your ankle), did it in 30 mins (or about 10 mins per 500m, which is about what i do in the pool), and came 416 out of 525, and 41st in my group, 124th out of the ladies. I am pleased with the result, even though I would have liked to be in the 300s.


Delicious, delicious fruit afterwards. 


Trace made me an incredible breakfast afterwards back at her place in Newport (bacon, brie, avocado, mushrooms and tomato). My nephew Jesse was just getting out of bed - being the crack of noon - so we had a beer to celebrate his 18th which was a few weeks beforehand. They're his hairy lanky legs in the background. 

No comments:

Post a Comment