Sunday, 4 December 2011

sunday december four


Well, as if the weekend didn't have enough excitement, we had our ladies xmas lunch at my place on sunday. The ladies lunches, for the non-Sydney ladies, are a once a month exercise in getting out of the inner west. Ladies only, we get dressed up and go somewhere tres fancy. It's something I think we all look forward to, and the testament to that is that this Jan will be our third anniversary. 

But i digress. For Xmas we go to someone's house, all bring something delicious and do a $30 random santa (you don't know who you're buying for). This year is was at my place, and this little baby was my contribution. 

Ham is dressed in a brown sugar, cardamon, cinnamon, pineapple and some other stuff sauce, accessorised with some whole cloves. It was as delicious as it looks* and we are going to be eating the leftovers for ever (note: five kgs is way too much). 


This little number is called havana nights, which i roadtested on sarah a few weekends ago. with her approval - and keeping in mind I think she would drink the contents of a lava lamp if the situation called for it - I made it my arrival cocktail. Poor tiny thought I said 'rival' cocktail and was confused for a little while, looking for others.


aAnd here we are (L to R): Emma, moi, Karen, Julzie, Kimmy (of birthday fame), Narissa and Tiny. Gab was taking the photo, Laura was celebrating her anniversary and Bernie was in Thailand, but this is most of us. 


 Shit yeah I bought bon bons. The champagne was French.


Julzie and Kimmy.

                                     

Gab and Em. Gab was doing that thing I always forget to do, the layering with a filmy pencil designed floaty piece of loveliness over a long-sleeve black tee. 


Emma was wearing a long red skirt, black top and suffering a monster hangover (there is always one, and this time not me). Karenis wearing long punk socks and a faux something black coat she bought at Marrickville Metro for $40. Narissa we shall examine in closer detail later.


After lunch, and the gifts - which were amazingly well-suited to all of their random recipients, as always seems to happen, we pulled back the coffee table and prepared the dancefloor. Julz and I have been working on a dance routine to Johnny Farnham's Two Strong Hearts in secret for over a year so we kick started the YouTube party off. I don't think it's an exaggeration to say our audience was astounded, some people were so impressed they were actually crying**.

I'm not sure if this was taken during the routine, or if it was when I did Dancing in the Dark*** later on. I had my mic for that one but the photos a bit too blurry to tell. Was wearing the white crocheted number that Sarah and I co-own, having picked it up at the Surry Hills market for $30 and a red cardy (probably from Kimmy's), tan flats from Sportsgirl, $50.


Narissa got right into it. I think this was during Madonna's Like A Prayer, which she performed with Julz. A surprising amount of that routine was performed on the ground in the prayer position, and as a result Julz had some pretty bad carpet burns she had to explain to her boyfriend later on (the boys were banished but came round later for the leftovers). Tip: there are few things it would appear, that most men like more than ham.

Let me see if I get this right: skirt is from Sportsgirl, top from Witchery, cardy from Cotton On. Boots are Doc Marten's, and having borrowed them mid-party on Friday night I can confirm they are super comfy.

* With apologies to the vegetarians.
** Apparently video is going on YouTube, but I haven't seen it yet. I suspect it could go viral among the babyboomer set.
*** I think I may have a problem.

1 comment:

  1. the food looked delish, the girls looked gorgeous and if the dancing looked anything like the images in my head i am dead jealous i missed such a great shindig - nice one

    ReplyDelete